2016 Rules (PDF)
2016 Rules (Word)
The Best of 2016 Annual Awards contest is now open for entry. Please review the entry information and categories so you are ready to enter.
Our contest is completely entered online. Please give yourself time to prepare your entries for upload. You will need to make a new account to log into the Best in Media awards site. The site does not have open tech support this year. If you have questions, please read the informational links on the site before calling Martha. Please be prepared to pay for entries via PayPal.
Don’t wait until the last minute!
For step by step instructions, click here.
- This year’s deadline has been extended to Thursday, January 26 at 10 p.m.; all entries must be uploaded no later than that date. NO FURTHER EXTENSIONS WILL BE GRANTED.
- All entries in this year’s Idaho Press Club Awards Contest- except broadcast General Excellence–must have been broadcast, telecast or published in Idaho during the 2016 calendar year.
- General excellence dates will be announced on January 14th. Go to our main award page for the requested issues or programs, click here.
- Payment must be included for all entries: $20 per entry for Idaho Press Club members ($15 for student member) and $45 per entry for non-members ($30 for non-member students). Fees include PayPal charges. Questions or issues? Please call or email Martha.
- All individuals whose names appear on an entry must be members of the Idaho Press Club in order for that entry to qualify for the membership discount. You may join or renew your IPC membership at the time of entry by sending a separate check of $40 per regular member ($25 retired, $20 student) and pertinent mailing /email/ phone information. Membership can also be submitted online via PayPal; see Join. If you are unsure about your membership status, call or email the IPC office to verify. You may enter the contest if you are not a member, but you must pay the higher entry rate.
- Find categories here.
- Our contest is all online. Give yourself time to prepare your entries for upload. Don’t wait until the last minute!
- As in every year, you must create a new account before you start to use the site. http://www.bestinmedia.com You can use the same username and password you did last year, but you MUST CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT. Make sure your email accepts mail coming from email@example.com
- Daily Publications are defined as any publication, online or print, that consistently publishes stories four or more days a week throughout the year. Weekly Publications are defined as any publication, online or print, that consistently publishes stories on a weekly basis throughout the year. If a publication updates its website throughout the week, but publishes a print edition weekly or twice-weekly, it should enter the Weekly Publication division. Periodicals are defined as any publication, online or print, that publishes monthly or less frequently, such as magazines or guides.
- Articles submitted in publication categories can be in the form of a single .pdf file or submitted via an ISSUU.com file URL. Entries with multiple stories or side-bars are encouraged to be combined and submitted via an ISSUU.com file URL, but may be combined into a single PDF or submitted in multiple PDFs. The entry form allows you to post up to four files per entry. If there are mixed media or multimedia components, such as interactive graphics or embedded video, please submit the HTML link in the notes. Note: If your entry is behind a paywall, you must provide verified log-in information for judging access in the note section of the entry form.
- Photos must be .jpg files/300dpi.
- Audio entries should use .mp3 files 128kps/16 bit/stereo or mono.
- Video entries should use .mov,mp4 or .wmv files files. Because of the complexity of correct video exporting, further information MUST BE FOLLOWED regarding CODEC’s and other basic settings. Failure to do so could be cause for elimination without refund. Click here for further information.You may also enter video as a YouTube link. When you enter the URL on the entry form, you must put the full link, not a shortened or shared link. Your YouTube video MUST be made PUBLIC. If not, it will not be viewable by the judges. You MUST upload the YouTube URL to YOUR MEDIA MANAGER. This allows the judges to view your video WITHOUT: 1) leaving the Best in Media site, 2) any advertising, 3) any playlists.
- Magazines, brochures and newspapers: (any print item that has multiple pages) If your entry has multiple pages, such as a full newspaper, magazine or brochure, you will need to FIRST go to www.issuu.com and create a free account. Then you can upload your publication, view it and then provide the URL link to Best in Media via your entry form. This allows the judges to see the entry in a flip-book format. Best in Media DOES NOT provide any support for www.issuu.com. All the information needed is available on their website. It is very easy!
- Mixed Media Entries: Please combine like media together (all print material together, etc.) and enter each unit as a single file in the upload process. Your entry form allows you to post up to 4 files per entry. If your entry has multiple pages, such as a full newspaper, magazine or brochure, follow the directions above for creating an www.issuu.com account and then enter the URL link to your publication. For entries with interactive graphics or embedded video, you may also submit the URL in the comments.
- If you combine video files or audio files into one single video or audio file, you should allow 5 seconds of space between each segment and it would be helpful to put some type of slate or graphic in between.
- Individuals from out-of-state organizations entering this contest must show they worked full-time in an Idaho bureau or division.
- All entries become property of the Idaho Press Club. Winning entries may be displayed.
- Each story or photo may be entered in only one category. Exceptions: Television Writing and Videography entries may also be entered in one other TV category; and stories may be entered in an individual category, such as general news story or live feature report, and also be part of an entry in the General Excellence, Reporter of the Year, Photographer of the Year, Rookie of the Year category or All Media categories.
- Award winners will be announced at the Annual Awards Banquet on ****.